There Will Come Soft rains
What is the theme of the story?
QUESTIONS: Answer the following questions.
- What unusual qualities and appliances does the house have?
- What were the five spots of paint of?
- What happened to the people?
- What are some things the house has been protecting itself from?
- Why is the dog very thin and covered in sores?
- What happens to the dog’s remains?
- What can you infer the family usually does at 2:35?
- What did the children usually do at 4:30?
- What is the name of the family that lived in the house?
- What are some things the house does to try to save itself?
Questions on the poem CETACEAN
- What is the effect of beginning stanzas 4, 5, 6 and 7 with ‘Then’ or ‘And then’? How typical do you think this is of poetry? Why might the poet do this?
- What is the effect of the very short line 3 of stanza 4? Why might the poet do this?
- What is the effect of the repetition of the verb ‘arched’ in stanza 5?
- Why might the poet make stanza 5 the shortest of the whole poem?
- Correct the term test and write 3 questions to ask your teacher
2. COMING poem by P. Larkin
Explain what the poem is about
Find 3 literary devices and explain their effect on the readers.
11. What was the last voice to die saying?