We are reading this play in class and today we are going to do some review on important topics.
Get in pairs and start a post in your blog including the following:
Cast of Characters
Alfieri – lawyer
Eddie – Italian immigrant
Beatrice – Eddie’s wife
Catherine – their orphaned niece
Rodolfo and Marco – Bea’s cousins
Act One: The stage directions
1. What clues do the stage directions give us about the setting of the play?
2. What clues do the stage directions give us about the characters that will inhabit the stage?
Act 1: The prologue
Continue on, reading Alfieri’s prologue, stopping just before Eddie starts to speak.
1. What does Alfieri’s prologue tell us about justice and the law?
2. What sort of history surrounds the characters in the play, and why do you think Miller has included this information?
3. How does Alfieri describe the setting?
4. What does he foreshadow happening?
Fermìn, Conra and Marco
Act 1: Eddie and Catherine’s initial conversation
1. What sort of relationship do Eddie and Catherine have? Use specific examples from the text to back up your point.
Act 1: Discussing the arrival of the cousins
2. What clues are there that the cousins coming to America are not entirely legit?
3. How is the theme of honor evident in this section of the scene?
4. What impressions do you get of the following:
Lucìa and Rena
Act 1: Eddie Caves In
1. What are your thoughts and feelings regarding Eddie’s reaction to Catherine’s work proposal?
2. What sort of hopes does Eddie have for his niece?
3. Beatrice mentions that Eddie always seems to have an excuse for keeping Catherine close.
What are your thoughts and feelings about this?
4. Why does Eddie give in?
5. What advice does Eddie give Catherine? What does this tell us about his character?
Lucy and Mora
Act 1: Vinny Bolzano
1. How does the mood in the house change, once Eddie has accepted Catherine’s news? Why?
2. Why are Eddie and Beatrice so nervous?
3. What happened to Vinny?
4. What do we learn about the Red Hook community, through the story about Vinny?
5. What is Eddie’s opinion on what Vinny did?
Valu and Nina
Act 1: The Arrival
1. What do the two men think of Eddie’s home?
2. What are their hopes for coming to America?
3. How do the two men treat Eddie?
4. What does Catherine think of the two men?
5. How do Marco and Rodolfo describe life in Italy?
Marina and Achu
Act 1: Marco and Rodolfo
1. What is Rodolfo’s dream? Is it realistic?
2. What is Marco’s dream? Is it realistic?
3. Why does Eddie stop Rodolfo from singing?
4. What sort of relationship do Marco and Rodolfo have?
Oli and Sofi
Act 1: Growing Suspicion
1. How does Eddie react to Catherine’s shoes?
2. Why does Eddie start to view Rodolfo with suspicion?
Act 1: Eddie’s Growing Concerns
1. What do we learn has happened in the weeks that have passed?
2. What is Eddie’s view of Rodolfo? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. What is Beatrice’s view of Rodolfo? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
4. ‘Of him? Boy, you sure don’t think much of me’. What does this quote tell us about Eddie?
5. How does Eddie rate Rodolfo’s masculinity, versus that of Marco? Why do you think he does this?
Toto , Manolo and Juan Pablo
Act 1: Marital Troubles
1. Why is Beatrice upset?
2. How does Eddie react?
3. Why do you think Eddie has had troubles in his marriage?
4. How does Beatrice feel about Eddie’s concern for Catherine? Is she justified?
Oli and Sofi
Act 1: An Outsiders Opinion
1. What do Mike and Louis think of Marco and Rodolfo? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
2. How does Eddie react to their praise for Rodolfo?
3. What does this tell us about his feelings for Rodolfo, and about Eddie as a character?
Lucas and Agustìn
Act 1: Eddie and Catherine Talk
1. How does Eddie treat Rodolfo?
2. How does Rodolfo treat Eddie?
3. What does Catherine think of the relationship between Eddie and Rodolfo? What does this mean for her future?
4. What clues are there that Eddie is uncomfortable with Catherine growing up?
5. How does Eddie react when he finds out Catherine likes Rodolfo?
6. What are your thoughts and feelings regarding Eddie’s theory about Rodolfo?
Valu and Nina (Gonza and Bauti)
Write all the answers in a drive!! (Agree with your classmates which questions to answer)