After reading the story “The Rain Horse”, let´s work on deep analysis.
Key events for summary. Work in groups and prepare a drive that will help you write an essay later.
- Man, collar up in driving rain on hillside. Nature is dominant and man is not significant here – bored and frustrated.
- First view of “thin, black horse”. Use the similes of ill-omen.
- Man finds shelter through “barricade of brambles” and the ground sucking at his feet.
- Second view of Horse -“watching him”.
- Horse attack – detail in description.
- Horse: “tall as a statue” watching him. NB his state of mind.
- Horse attack with onomatopoeia.
- Finds stones as weapons. Note comparison with eggs.
- Horse attack 3, man fights back. Note PF in passage.
- Horse attack and hit with stones under “superior guidance”
- Horse cat-like pain response –domesticity. Man becomes dominant again
- Closing image – man in barn. Ashamed and in pain. Other images?
This will help you!!